Thursday, January 22, 2015

Visit Schools: Seeing is Believing

It is very helpful, especially for teachers and principals, to go visit Leader in Me schools. This is an opportunity for community members and educators to see and hear, first hand. how children and teachers are implementing The Leader in Me in their schools.



One of my favorite things to see on a Leadership Day is the students' notebooks sometimes called "Data Notebooks" or "Leadership Notebooks". In these notebooks the students often record their class and personal mission statements, their goals, and chart their progress toward their academic and behavioral goals. As a visitor, I recently had a chance to chat individually with his young lady who was eager to show me her progress.


When I visited my first school, I was very curious to see if the children really knew about and took to heart the 7 habits.  I wanted to hear from the children when there were no adults around. The first little six year I talked to blew me away with how she described "Begin with the End in Mind" and how she would use this habit in her life. After attending a Leadership Day, one teacher I worked with said with awe, "It is just like the book.  It seems too good to be true!"

No comments:

Post a Comment